As we continue to rebuild, it is important for us to publicize some key points regarding the future of your property’s assessment.
How Does This Affect Your Home’s Value?
- Most homes will return to their pre-Hurricane Ida assessed value in 2022.
- Your value will NOT increase due to the value of repairs.
- Taxpayers will receive notice of their values via mailed letter in summer 2022.
- Our field staff has identified structures that are unlivable due to continued major damage. These structures will remain at their published 2021 value.
How Does This Affect Your Homestead Exemption?
- If you are unable to occupy your homestead due to storm damage, you can maintain your homestead exemption for up to 5 years unless you receive a homestead exemption elsewhere.
- Please notify us if you will be unable to occupy your homestead before the end of 2022.
How Does This Affect Your Age 65 Freeze or Other Special Assessment Level?
- If you are unable to occupy your homestead due to storm damage, you are still able to maintain your frozen assessment.
- Damaged properties WILL NOT be raised above their originally frozen value.