Bureau of Governmental Research Excellence in Government 2022 Innovation Award
St. Charles Parish Assessor’s Office Employees:
- Timothy J. Vial, Chief Deputy Assessor
- Cathy Albanese, Receptionist
- Alicia Bustamante, Administrative Assistant
- Constance Carter, Residential Transfer Clerk
- Gregory Champagne, Jr., CLDA, RES, Appraisal Director
- Faye Christen, CLDA, Residential Director
- Tania Joseph, Homestead Exemption Clerk
- Kori Matherne, CLDA, Residential Appraiser
- April Noel, CLDA, GIS Analyst, Commercial Appraiser
- Joe Otillio, CLDA, Commercial Appraiser, Auditor
- Hayden Petit, Deputy Assessor
- Bruce Pitre, CLDA, Field Director
- David Pizzolato, Field Appraiser
- Ashley Plaisance, Deputy Assessor
- Angeline Singleton, File Clerk
- Part-time employees Alayna Cunningham, Mary Griffin, Clyde Jackson, and Harry Zeller
Hurricane Ida caused widespread property damage in St. Charles Parish. The Assessor’s Office employees designed and implemented a rapid, accurate process for individually reviewing all residential and commercial properties in the parish – about 20,000 parcels – for storm damage and adjusting the assessed value accordingly without requiring taxpayers to submit proof of their damage. The team’s goal was to proactively assist taxpayers whose lives had been disrupted
by the hurricane without unduly delaying the collection of 2021 taxes. They succeeded in both respects.
The parishwide reassessment was an “all hands on deck” operation that began soon after the storm, despite major damage to the team’s office space and extensive power, cell phone and internet outages. Although many members were dealing with storm damage to their own homes, the team completed the reassessment within about three months, a remarkable achievement.
CLICK BELOW TO WATCH THE AWARD PRESENTATION
International Association of Assessing Officers Public Information Program Award
The St. Charles Parish Assessor’s Office is the first Assessor’s Office in the State of Louisiana to receive the International Association of Assessing Officers’ Public Information Program Award in the award’s 34-year history.
The award recognizes the development and implementation of an effective system for distributing information to taxpayers. It was presented for the 2014-2017 annual reports and 2016 Reassessment FAQ Video Series.
The St. Charles Parish Assessor’s Office is also the only Assessor’s Office in the State of Louisiana to have a current employee achieve the prestigious Residential Evaluation Specialist Designation. In 2018, Appraisal Director Gregory C. Champagne, Jr. received the international designation.
This designation recognizes professionalism and competency in valuing residential real property for tax purposes by those who are well-practiced in appraising a wide range of residential property. Champagne is a graduate of Louisiana Tech University where he received both his Bachelor of Science degree and Master of Arts degree. He is also a Certified Louisiana Deputy Assessor (CLDA) through the Louisiana Assessors’ Association.
Our office takes great pride in acknowledging these significant achievements.